Smoking weed may NOT be dangerous, but smoking pesticides and chemicals can hurt your health.
With the population skyrocketing, there has been a massive surge in food production to meet the needs of the burgeoning masses. Farming has become heavily industrialized with blatant disregard for collateral damage to the Earth and the end consumer. Toxic chemicals like fertilizers, pesticides, and hydroponics have become so normalized in modern agriculture that consumers rarely pause to wonder about the nutritional value of commercially produced food.
Luckily, a new movement among consumers is gaining traction rapidly. An increasing number of consumers are demanding healthy, organic products free of chemicals and other toxic substances. This breed of health-conscious customer recognizes the crucial link between our food and quality of life. Consumers are putting “health first” in all facets of life, including the weed they smoke. If consumers want their salads to be organic, it’s only fitting that they prefer organic weed.
This has led to the growing demand for organic cannabis, especially among Californian customers.
What’s the Difference Between Organic vs. Non organic Weed?
The primary difference is that organic weed is grown the way nature intended, without synthetic (chemical) fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, and genetic modification. Non organic weed relies heavily on chemical intervention to increase yield and fight off pests and weeds. In contrast, organic weed uses regenerative and sustainable farming practices like composting, crop rotation, and biodiversity to produce healthy weed strains sans chemicals.
Unfortunately, customers cannot yet walk into California marijuana shops and request organically grown weed strains. This is because, on the federal level, the marijuana industry is still considered illegal, despite state-level relaxations. To get the “organic” label for any food crop, manufacturers require certification from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, a federal agency.
So, it’s not possible for manufacturers, cultivators, and retailers to add the “organic” label to their weed strains, despite producing them with sustainable, organic farming practices.
Pros and Cons of Organic vs. Nonorganic Weed
Is organic weed better for the consumer and the environment? Here are a few pros and cons that help you make an informed decision:
Reasons To Buy/Sell Organic Weed
- Organic practices make cannabis production friendlier to the environment by reducing water usage, eliminating the use of harmful chemicals, and practicing sustainable farming.
- It helps increase the natural biodiversity of weed, increasing the availability of different strains.
- Genetically modified (GM) crops are not permitted under organic standards.
- There are lower pesticide and herbicide residues on organic weed, hemp, and other CBD products.
- Organic marijuana has a rich flavor profile. Since these plants are grown naturally, just like Mother Nature intended, they produce the perfect amount of cannabinoids, terpenoids, and terpenes, resulting in a rich, sweet, citrusy aroma.
Reasons Against Organic Weed
- Organic weed cultivation is more expensive and labor-intensive than modern agriculture practices.
- There is not enough scientific evidence to prove that organic weed strains are better for the consumer’s health than nonorganic ones.
How To Find Organic Weed Strains for Your California Marijuana Shop
Look for cultivators who offer you clean, green-certified weed strains to get the purest and healthiest cannabis for your CA marijuana shop. Evaluate the cultivator’s farming practices for green agriculture methods without harmful pesticides, insecticides, and other chemicals. You can even visit the farm in person to observe the cultivation methods firsthand and make an informed decision.
Switch to Organic Weed Distribution in Your Marijuana Shop
While organic weed is not yet mainstream or federally approved, that doesn’t mean you can’t include organic weed in your dispensary. With the rising demand for high-quality, organic strains, there is a vast market you can capitalize on.
If you do need a little assistance switching over to organic production, Bespoke Financial can help. With a variety of tailored funding solutions for cannabis businesses like invoice financing, lines of credit, purchase money financing, and inventory financing, you can get additional funds to run and grow your business. Apply for an easy cannabis loan and take your cannabis venture to the next level.